What is that pole on the front lawn of the church?
The Peace Pole at Arlington was erected in 1991 and rededicated in 2001. Peace Poles are hand crafted monuments erected the world over as an international symbol of peace. Their purpose is to spread the message, and the pole acts as a constant reminder for us to visualize and pray for world peace in an increasingly violent and conflict-ridden world.
Peace Poles carry the inscription, May Peace Prevail on Earth, in many languages. The languages on the Peace Pole at the Arlington Church of the Brethren include English, German, Spanish, American Sign Language, Swedish, Swahili, Cherokee and Cambodian. The languages reflect the many diverse cultures in the Arlington community, the Cambodian and Hispanic fellowships that worship in our church building, and our Western European/Brethren roots.
The Peace Pole Project was started in Japan by The World Peace Prayer Society, a non-profit, non-denominational organization founded in 1955. The project was launched with a dedication to uplift humankind toward harmony rather than conflict.
Friends and supporters have dedicated over 140,000 poles in 160 countries around the world. Peace Poles have been planted in forests, cities, villages, squares, hospitals, city halls, corporations, schools, churches and temples, restaurants, private yards, offices, and even living rooms.
The inscription, May Peace Prevail on Earth, is available in more than 40 languages, including American Sign Language.
Each year, we celebrate International Day of Prayer for Peace on September 21. Join us!